8.06.2003

this week is already considerably better than last: i solved a ten thousand dollar problem, fixed up about eighty people for the band mentoring program, and tomorrow evening, i will be celebrating this here blog's first birthday.

the uc berkeley office of the registrar is so smart, they classified me as a nonresident and soon thereafter told me that i was a california nonresident, as well as a resident alien. they had apparently notified me before may that i was liable for ten thousand dollars in nonresident fees, and that i needed to turn in documentation to prove my resident status. (what the fuck?!?)

so, this past monday afternoon, i traipsed on over to sproul hall with shereen in tow to clear up the mess. the residential affairs office was down at the basement, and so i told her that they messed up, yada yada yada, things got sent to my permanent address instead of my berkeley address, yada yada yada, they needed to see my greencard, dadadada, i had my passport instead. and then the clerk told me to just "cheat" and pay minimum as a resident when august fifteenth rolls around, even though the first disbursement is the nineteenth. the ten thousand dollars got cleared out of my registration, and then, eight thousand dollars went on my registration fees as the new fall semester rolled around. yeesh.

about an hour ago, actually, we just finished this horrendous four hour meeting on assigning incoming first-years in band to a mentor in our mentoring program we like to call "big bear-little bear" -- if you want to know who yours is, don't ask me, i'm too wracked. mentally, i'm fried; physically, i'm exhausted(yet i somehow muster the energy to keep typing this entry). there was lots of fun and nigh-delirious moments, but i guess it comes with the job... and by the way, go check the foyer calendar if you want to see what happens when old rosters are around, and we have scissors and tape.

sec's comm (the group who's handling all this) is also in charge of the check-in procedure as these incoming first-years get acquainted, head-on, full speed with the university and our marching band. it's going to be quite the experience; and i'm sure it'll be just as fun as it will be hectic. not to mention that i'll have two finals on the very same day that the whole check-in thing will be happening, but it's okay, i'll manage. i think i'll be all right.

and in mere hours, my blogging experience will be a year old. it feels as if it was forever ago that i started this thing, and now, it's grown so much, experienced a facelift, and changed material-wise from some of my most superficial thoughts and mundane writing exercises to my most cherished poems and the innermost workings of my mind. i hope you've enjoyed it -- i sure have. (i'll be sure to write about more of this tomorrow. right now, rest sounds like a good idea.)

and with that, minor celebrities at food stands are awesome, i miss you all, and coldplay is freaking amazing. go bears, and good night. i'll see you tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home