7.05.2007

two a's. america gets two a's.

i got an iphone. i knew this thing was going to be crazy when i called my mom and she said, "i totally want one!"

-----

paris je t'aime, ratatouille, transformers, live free or die hard.

i went from seeing no movies to seeing four in a week. is that compulsive?

-----

usually july fourth is this longstanding tradition of mine to look at fireworks that aren't by disneyland. there are so many cities that, as soon as sunset hits, blow up colorful things in the air. and i am freakishly sucked in it every time.

this time around, though, the fourth of july felt really adult for me. it was exactly what it stood for: independence. and in a few moments of that, you can really turn your head around on a few things.

it was hot, first of all; hot in the dry heat up in the mountains sense of hot. the dave picked me up and we headed to lakeview in tilden, where we were to meet with the rest of the host crew.

and then patriotism ensued, with ribs, chicken wings, sausages, strawberry shortcake, and lots and lots of beer.

-----

"you know what? i'm really glad you got to meet this group of people. whenever we plan something we assume that everyone else is going to get involved, even though we're a pretty motley crew. we barely even hang out anymore, but it's an excuse."

"i'm so glad you brought tunes."

and the clincher:
"the party starts when miguel gets here."

-----

le cheval

chicken wings!
lots of rice.
mai tais.
clay pot fish.
crispy house noodles! with oodles of stuff!
overall yumminess!

-----

i got home and heard fireworks in the distance, and as instinct dictates, i rush over to look and see where they're coming from. i saw them in the distance, not too far away; they were probably close enough for me to go over and see them up close and firsthand.

in that very instant my heart sank, and i had to call the love of my life to tell them of the extreme nostalgia that had consumed me.

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Sam Lam said...

I had a dream last night that a female Asian-French flight attendant asked me what time it was. Without skipping a beat, I responded, "Désolé! J'ne parle pas français, j'suis américain." And then I walked away. When I woke up, I thought of Chappy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home