5.09.2007

ici, la bas

so here i was trying to mind my own business when all of a sudden some stranger on the subway sits right next to me despite the empty train. he could have sat across from me, in a seat over in the corner, but no, he decided that the best spot to sit down would be next to me.

so i pretended as if i didn't mind and kept on reading my book, which was all about food justice and gastronomy and agrarian equities. he looked over, obviously leaning over my shoulder to read the contents, but i moved too fast. i read and flipped furiously (thanks, speed-reading) as he tried to catch up.

he finally gave up. this man wasn't even vagrant-looking, let alone vagrant; he was dressed quite snappily as if he had had a long night at work, but at that moment you knew everyone on the subway had had a long night at work. he got up, straightened his coat, and sat down opposite my seat, and pulled out a book himself from his briefcase.

a bit of relief washed over me, though at the same time i couldn't help feeling bad. i had denied an opportunity to make small talk -- indubitably a marker for a friendly acquaintance -- and it made me feel a little paranoid as to what he was reading on the other side.

i didn't have the balls to get up and give him a "here's-what-that-feels-like" moment, so i just looked up and asked, "what you reading?"

he smiled, looked up, and responded, "something that you wouldn't like."

that was good enough for me.

-----

have you ever spent close to twelve hours in a bar?

talk to me when you have; we'll compare notes.

-----

suddenly i have time to blog again. hooray?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home