5.31.2004

today has been really, really, really, really weird.

i woke up today and watched some the price is right, which was really quite depressing since only one guy won his prize, and the showcases weren't that great either.

then, i went downstairs, watched season two of the office, and all of a sudden, i had about twenty relatives surrounding me, half of whom i knew by name and half of whom did not know me. they all, however, seemed to confuse me with my older brother, and all my cousins said they met me when i have no recollection of ever talking to them.

i didn't even know we were going to hold a memorial day bbq until my mom started marinating ribs, and my aunt started slicing fruit and sticking it in the freezer. we never have frozen fruit. and we never marinate ribs. unless, of course, there's a bbq, in which case that's the only thing we eat all day.

so back to the relatives i didn't know, i managed to field all the college questions until the inevitable "what the hell are you going to do with a linguistics degree" question popped up, in which case i became extremely irritated, and in which case i finished my food, excused myself from the "party" and basically walked out of the ordeal.

my cousins gave me all incredulous looks, like a "holy crap he has the balls to do that" kind of look, and i just smiled. at that moment, it was revealed, when one of my distant aunts opened her mouth and said, "they're all pre-med or pre-law."

and then i realized i was the happiest kid in the family tree, because i was doing something i liked, and not some stupid cash-machine, work-for-the-man, lose-your-street-cred kind of gig. and i happily went online at opportune moments of the night, when they were all taking a siesta or when they all caught up with themselves, and i was happily uninvolved. and i saw all my cousins talk about me behind my back, how i'm not the "typical pinoy teen" -- because i wasn't into hip-hop that much, because i knew how to speak tagalog still, because i dressed like a proper summer kid and not like i was going to tha hood, because i was doing things during the party that made them all question the validity of the dreams they're pursuing, because what they wanted to do were pipe dreams, and what they were being forced to do was no fun.

the relatives all left about an hour ago, finally making the house a bit cooler, and finally leaving me to mill about the place while not feeling awkward.

i can feel my body start to ketose, since all we ate was meat. and it's not cool.

in any case, disneyland tomorrow, and i can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home